Dental Implants An Overview
A dental implant is a permanent, natural looking solution for missing teeth. Dental implants can be used to replace a single tooth or an entire set of missing teeth. Doctors Maria Burmaster and Valerie Hemphill work with periodontists and oral surgeons to complete this multistep procedure to the highest degree of accuracy.
Why Choose Dental Implants for Missing Teeth?
- Superior durability and longevity
- Better preservation of bone structure
- Virtually indistinguishable from natural teeth
- Eat, drink and speak comfortably without special restrictions or risk of slippage
- Improve the appearance of the face by adding fullness to lips and cheeks
Are You A Candidate For Dental Implants?
Our dentists will perform a comprehensive evaluation to determine if you are a candidate for dental implants. Dental implants require a significant investment of both time and resources to ensure a successful outcome. Patients will need to have adequate bone structure to accommodate the dental implant. In some cases, bone grafting may be performed to build up insufficient bone structure.
Implant Supported Dentures
For patients who are missing several or all of the teeth, implant supported dentures are an excellent option. As few as two implants may be needed to secure a denture or partial denture. In some cases, an existing denture can be converted into an implant supported denture. Learn More
"I’ve been a patient since three years old. I can truly say with all my travels around the world and nation, I’ve never experienced a better dentist. I feel I am part of a family at Barataria Dental."Joseph B. New Orleans, LA
"I’ve been a patient for 15 years. They know most patients by their name and they are very friendly. Barataria Dental keeps my pearly whites perfect."Megan D. Marrero, LA
"I have been a patient in this practice for over 40 years. I have had excellent treatment and the staff has always been professional and treated me like family."Nora S. Marrero, LA
Dental Implants What to Expect
About The Dental Implant Procedure
The procedure for dental implants requires multiple visits over several months. After the comprehensive evaluation, our dentists will create a personalized treatment plan. Barataria Dental will coordinate the entire treatment, working closely with dental specialists, dental laboratories and any other professionals involved to ensure a predictable and successful result.
- Placing the Implant – The specialist will place the dental implant, a tiny titanium post, into the bone. The dental implant will be allowed to heal and integrate with the natural bone, serving as the artificial root for the new tooth. The healing process can take several months. Depending on your case and the position of the missing tooth or teeth, a temporary crown may be placed in the mouth while the implant heals.
- Restoring the Dental Implant – Once the dental implant has healed, our dentists will restore the dental implant by placing the prosthetic tooth. While the dental implant is healing, a dental crown will be fabricated at a dental laboratory. This will serve as the replacement tooth. The dental crown is secured to the dental implant for a permanent restoration.
- How Long Do Dental Implants Last? – With proper care and maintenance, a dental implant is a permanent solution for missing teeth. The materials used in dental crowns are carefully selected depending on where in the mouth the tooth is being replaced. With any dental restoration, regular visits to the dentist are recommended to monitor your condition and make sure that treatment continues to be successful.