For patients missing teeth, Drs. Maria Burmaster and Valerie Hemphill recommend dental implants whenever possible. Because of the wonderful results, dental implants can deliver, patients may wonder whether dental implants could be a good fit for them. While dental implants aren’t for everyone, Drs. Burmaster and Hemphill are happy to help you decide whether dental implants are your perfect choice.
The Benefits of Dental Implants
Dental implants have a number of benefits over other treatments such as dentures.
- Secure, permanent placement: The secure titanium screws mean that there is no risk of your replacement shifting.
- Eat what you want: No shifting means no dietary restrictions!
- Support bone structure: Bone loss is a common problem associated with missing teeth. The screw supports the bone to prevent erosion.
- Durable: A dental implant can be expected to last for up to thirty years with proper care.
- Beautiful results: Because the post is invisible and the crown material replicates the natural teeth, your implants should be essentially indistinguishable from your natural teeth.
Who is a Candidate for Dental Implants?
There are two main requirements to be a candidate for dental implants: good health, and sufficient bone. Because placing dental implants is a surgical procedure, good overall health is essential. The implants are placed into the jaw bone, so sufficient bone to support the implant is required. This may be a problem for patients who have had significant time pass since their tooth loss.
Some patients may worry that the number of teeth they need to be replaced will determine their candidacy for dental implants. In fact, the number of teeth you are missing is no factor. Dental implants can be used to replace anything from one tooth to a full row.
Drs. Burmaster and Hemphill will be happy to help you determine whether dental implants would be a good fit for you. To schedule a consultation, contact Barataria Dental in Marrero, LA on our website or at 504.358.8632.