If you are experiencing bleeding gums while brushing or flossing, you may be exhibiting an early warning sign of gum disease. Gum disease is often referred to as the silent disease because some patients don’t experience any symptoms until they reach the most advanced stage of gum disease.
Other warning signs for gum disease may include:
- Swollen, red, or puffy gums
- Receding gums that pull away from the teeth
- Loose, shifting, or separating teeth
- Sores in the mouth
- Persistent bad breath (halitosis)
- A change in the bite
If you are experiencing one or more of these signs you may want to visit Barataria Dental in Marrero, LA for a gum disease screening. New Orleans dentists, Dr. Maria Burmaster and Dr. Valerie Hemphill offer experienced, personalized solutions for those suffering from early to late stage gum disease.
Treating Bleeding Gums
Regular visits to the dentist may help your dentist identify gum disease during the early stages of infection. Early detection can reduce your risk of further infection and damage to the teeth, gums, and bone structure. Your treatment will depend on the severity of damage to the teeth and the stage of gum disease. Dr. Burmaster and Dr. Hemphill may suggest one or more of these treatment options:
- Routine Dental Cleaning: A routine dental cleaning may be used to reverse gum disease that is identified in the early stage. Routine dental cleanings are usually performed during a preventive care exam. A highly trained dental hygienist will carefully remove plaque and tartar buildup from around the teeth and gums.
- Scaling & Root Planing: Scaling & root planing is an extensive cleaning of the teeth and gums. The goal of scaling and root planing is to remove plaque and tartar build-up from the gum line.
- Periodontal Therapy: Periodontal therapy may include any of the service listed above with the addition of restorative dental care, cosmetic dental care, or gum surgery. Depending on your specific needs, Dr. Hemphill and Dr. Burmaster may create a multi-step treatment plan that addresses the infection, damage to the teeth, and damage to the gums and bone structure.
Gum Disease Prevention
Although gum disease is one of the most common dental concern, it is easily one of the most preventable. Preventing gum disease requires excellent oral hygiene and preventive dental care. Make sure you are brushing your teeth twice a day, flossing at least once a day, and finishing with an antibacterial rinse.
If you have any questions about your oral hygiene routine or how to properly brush or floss, please feel free to contact Barataria Dental. Dr. Burmaster, Dr. Hemphill, and our dental care team will gladly walk you through the appropriate oral hygiene practices.
Schedule A Consultation
If you notice bleeding gums, you may want to schedule a visit to Barataria Dental in Marrero, LA. Dr. Burmaster, Dr. Hemphill, and our dental care team will work with you to restore health to the teeth and gums. If you would like to schedule an appointment, call or schedule an appointment online.