Is your New Year’s resolution to finally quit smoking? We all know that smoking is harmful to your health and can contribute to cancer and heart disease, so have you ever considered how damaging tobacco is to your teeth? We at Barataria Dental would like to offer you some additional motivation to quit smoking, here are some oral health implications that we would like you to consider:
- We all know this one, but smoking causes bad breath and stained teeth! Trying to impress someone special? Wow them with your fresh smoke-free breath and pearly white smile.
- Cigarettes and cigars can cause a dulled sense of taste. Imagine not being able to enjoy that cheeseburger or chocolate cake as much as you used to. The horror!
- Smoking can also impair the healing process after a dental procedure.
- Smokers have a higher rate of oral cancer and gum disease than non-smokers.
- Quitting is the only way to decrease your risk of developing tobacco-related health complications.
Barataria Dental knows that quiting is easier said than because of the highly addictive nature of nicotine. It is incredibly important to have a plan and constantly remind yourself of your reasons for wanting to kick your smoking habit. Writing down your reasons and re-reading them every time you have a craving, exercising regularly, chewing gum, and reaching out to supportive friends and family can all be extremely beneficial in your journey to quit smoking.
Barataria Dental cares about their patients and would like to remind everyone who is struggling to quit that our staff is supportive of your commitment and would be happy to help you in any way possible!
Make a new habit of scheduling your dental check ups at the start of a new year. Dr. Hemphill and Dr. Burmaster provide general, restorative and cosmetic dentistry for the whole family. Contact us to schedule your next appointment in our Marrero office.